It was first discovered that
Romans had occupied the site of
Penydarren Park in 1786 during
Penydarren House for the Iron Master Samuel Homfrey.
Wilkins in his 1867 book
History of Merthyr states that when Penydarren House was being built,
the workmen found a great many Roman bricks and tesselated pavement in
It was not recognised as
being a Fort until the excavations of 1902-1904, during
preparation of the building
of the football ground.