BETHEL CHAPEL, GEORGETOWN
In the early
1800’s some members of the congregation at Zion Chapel, Twynrodyn
wanted to hold services in English to cater for the increasing
number of English speaking members of the chapel, so in 1806 a group
of worshippers led by William and Martha Matthews and William
Baldwin started meeting in a blacksmith’s shop on Tramroadside just
behind the present day Hope Chapel.
It was soon found
that this location was not ideal due to the noise from the
blacksmith, and the group moved to a room above two cottages in
Morgan Jones Court, which was situated close to where the present
Tesco Store has been built. An application was made on 19 November
1806 for the room to be formally recognised as a place of worship to
be called Providence Chapel. This was granted on 1 January 1807, and
Rev Daniel Davies was inducted as the first minister of the new
place of worship.
By 1813 the
congregation had grown to such an extent that it became obvious that
a larger place of worship was required. At this time, a chapel
became available in Georgetown. It had been built in 1807 by the
General Baptists and was called Bethel, but the congregation had
quickly dwindled, so the worshippers from Providence Chapel bought
the building and grave yard for £200. Following necessary repairs to
the building, the new chapel opened in April 1813.
By 1841 the
congregation had again grown so it was decided that a new chapel
should be built in the town centre. The congregation left Bethel and
moved to the new High Street Chapel in June 1841. A short time after
this, members of Ebenezer Chapel in Plymouth Street took over the
empty chapel to cater for the members of Ebenezer from that part of
the town, thus Bethel became a Welsh Baptist Chapel.
demolished in 1983.