John Jenkins was born in Merthyr Tydfil on 9th
January 1838 and died 11th March 1889. He acquired the Thomas
Town Brickworks in 1865.
John began work in the brickyard in
Georgetown near the Three Horse Shoes. He then worked in the
brickworks of N B Allen at Hirwaun. While here he negotiated with Mr Wild to
purchase Thomas Town Brickworks.
William Wild is listed as a Brick maker. His son John Wild
is listed in 1858 as a Brickmaker, Twyn-y-Rodyn.
A 99 year lease was granted on the site of Thomas Town
Brickworks in 1848. The business was offered for sale as a Brick and Pipe
Manufactory on 1st November 1865 and aged 27 John Jenkins
When John Jenkins died, his wife Elizabeth ran the
business. There were three sons Thomas Price, John Ernest & Gwilym Vaughan.
On 12th February 1898 The Merthyr Brick and Tile Company
Ltd was formed. One reason shown for formation is in the Memorandum of
To acquire from Mr Thomas Price Jenkins, of Merthyr
Tydfil, all that Brickworks and Premises, known as “The Thomas Town
Brickworks”, Merthyr Tydfil, and also the Coal and Clay Level situate near
18th March 1904 a notice in the London Gazette
stated that the company “unless cause is shown to the contrary will be
2nd November 1909 a Special Resolution issued
and signed by Gwilym Vaughan Jenkins as Secretary, for the voluntary winding
up of the Company. John Ernest Jenkins is the MD.
11th January 1910, Final Winding-up Meeting of
We believe that John Ernest Jenkins continued to run the
business as the Merthyr Brickworks. He died of wounds on 25th
November 1917 in France. We believe the business ceased completely at around
Nicholas C. Jenkins